One of my favorite bloggers, The Detoxinista, shared this wonderful recipe! I tried it out a while back and WOW! They were tasty and so easy to make! These sweet treats are clean! They are no bake, gluten free, vegan, paleo friendly AND no added sugar. And they are kid approved! My son Noah LOVED them. I also took a few in to work and they were a hit.
Makes about 2 dozen. Here is what you will need.
1 cup Medjool dates, pitted
1 cup unsweetened shredded coconut (can be found in the health food section)
1 cup pecans
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
1/4 cup of cocoa powder
5-10 drops of liquid stevia (I used vanilla flavored) – this step is not necessary though!
1 cup of dark chocolate chips (for the coating. 70% Dark is best!)
Large Food Processor
1. In a large food processor, combine the dates, coconut, pecans, vanilla extract, salt, coca powder and pulse until it forms in to a sticky dough. Be patient with this step. It takes a bit before it becomes the consistency you want.
2. Scoop rounded tablespoons of the dough and work into a smooth ball shape by rolling it with your hands. Place the dough balls on to a parchment paper lined cookie sheet.
3. Place cookie tray in the freezer for about 30 minutes.
4. Take the dark chocolate chips and microwave them for about a minute. Stir. Place back in the microwave for about another 45 sec and stir. It should be melted by this time but if not, through in for another 20-30 sec. You want to be sure not to over cook the chocolate in the microwave.
5. Once the chocolate is melted, roll each truffle ball in the dark chocolate until it is covered. Use a spoon to move the truffle ball on to the parchment paper.
6. If desired, sprinkle a little extra coconut and chopped pecans on top of the truffle before the chocolate hardens.
7. Return the truffles to the freezer for 10 minutes to allow them to set. Then they can be stored in tupperware in the fridge until the are ready to eat!
For those interested in the nutrition facts for each truffle (gathered from My Fitness Pal)….
Calories: 115 Total Fat: 7.9g Saturated: 3.7g Polyunsaturated: 1.0 g Monounsaturated: 1.9g Total Carbs: 11.7g Dietary Fiber: 2.4g Sugars: 8.0g Protein: 1.2g Vitamin C: 0.3% Calcium: 0.9% Iron: 4.3% Cholesterol: 0mg Sodium: 1.0mg Potassium: 84.5mg
Hope you enjoy this sweet, guilt-less treat as much as my family and I did! If you try it, comment and let me know what you think!