Over the weekend, I was itching to do a little baking! It has been a hot minute since I’ve been able to bake any treats. No treats were allowed on the Whole30, even if the ingredients were compliant. So I did a little Pinterest-ing for some bake good inspiration and came across a recipe for these cupcakes. I made a few little tweaks and they turned out wonderful! These lovely treats are gluten free, grain free, dairy free and completely free of refined sugar!
The texture of the cakes are kind of a cross between a muffin and a cupcake. These bad boys are super moist! The subtle sweetness from the honey and coconut sugar balances out the tartness from the lime juice and zest perfectly. The smooth and creamy frosting is so lush you will have a hard time believing it’s free of dairy and refined white sugar. I love how festive these cupcakes look when garnished with lime zest and a lime slice. These would make a great addition to any St. Patrick’s Day celebration!
Paleo Key Lime Cupcakes
*Makes 12 servings
Adapted from this recipe
1/2 cup coconut flour
1/4 cup blanched and sifted almond flour
1/2 teaspoon aluminum free baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon of sea salt
1 packed teaspoon of lime zest
1 egg white
1/4 cup canned coconut milk, full-fat
4 tablespoons coconut oil (melted)
2 tablespoons raw honey
2 tablespoons coconut sugar (or Pure Maple Syrup)
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/4 cup fresh lime juice
1. Preheat oven to 350 F. Line a cupcake tin with foil liners.
2. In a large mixing bowl, combine the coconut flour, almond flour, baking powder, baking soda, zest, and salt. Mix together with a for or whisk until combined.
3. In a separate medium sized bowl combine the eggs, egg white, coconut milk, coconut oil, honey, coconut palm sugar (or maple syurp), vanilla, and fresh squeezed lime juice. Whisk until mixture is smooth.
4. Add the egg mixture to the flour mixture in the large bowl and whisk until ingredients are well combined.
5. Spoon the cupcake batter into the foil liners placed in your cupcake tin and fill about ¾ of the way.
6. Bake for 20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Let the cupcakes cool completely before frosting.
Key Lime Frosting
3/4 cup organic palm shortening
1/2 cup refrigerated canned coconut milk, full-Fat (cream at the top of the can)
4 tablespoons of fresh lime juice
2 tablespoon of Pure Maple Syrup
1 tablespoons raw honey
1 teaspoon vanilla
sliced lime and lime zest for garnish
1. In a food processor combine all the ingredients except for the coconut flour and blend for about 1 minute. Slowly add the tablespoon of coconut flour and blend for another 30-45 seconds.
2. Transfer to a piping bag and refrigerate until you are ready to frost. If you do not have a piping bag, use a Ziplock baggie and cut a corner for the frosting to squeeze out of.
3. When the cupcakes are completely cooled, frost your cupcakes and garnish with a sprinkle of lime zest and small lime slice.
I want to hear from you!
If you try this recipe or have questions about it, sound off below!