Yesterday was Cinco de Mayo and I wanted to celebrate at home with a festive dinner. Most Mexican dishes are not the healthiest! After a weekend of travel (and not so healthy eating) I decided to make my Chicken Tortilla Soup to get us back on track for the week ahead. This Mexican inspired soup is loaded with flavor and nutrition. It is incredibly filling as well so it can easily be served as the main dish. This recipe is easy on the digestive system – no beans, gluten, dairy, or grains! Best part is you can whip it up in no time at all!
Spicy Chicken Tortilla Soup
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 3 bell peppers, chopped (I used green, red, and yellow)
- 1 cup chopped carrot
- 1 teaspoon of chipotle chili powder
- 1/2 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1/2 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1 (15-ounce) can fire-roasted diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 (4-ounce) cans of chopped green chilies
- 1 lb of cooked shredded (or chopped) chicken
- Juice from half of a fresh lime
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- sliced green onion
- diced avocado
- chopped fresh cilantro
- lime slices
- tortilla chips (if you are okay with grains)
1. In a large 5 quart pot, heat olive oil over medium high heat. Add onion, bell peppers, carrots, spices, and garlic. Cook for about 6-7 minutes or until the carrot is slightly tender, stirring occasionally.
2. Add broth, fire roasted tomatoes, green chilies, and chicken. Bring to a boil, cover, and allow to simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
3. Remove from heat and stir in lime juice and salt. Serve in large bowls and garnish with your choice of toppings.
Making a batch of this delicious Spicy Chicken Tortilla Soup? Let me know by commenting below or using the hashtag #eatmovelivelove on Facebook, Twitter, or Instagram! I would love to hear how it turned out!