Fall weather has officially arrived and it has sent my comfort food cravings into high gear! There is nothing like warming up on a crisp Fall day with a big bowl or soup or stew. This healthy, gluten-free stew combines all the delicious flavors we love about Stuffed Peppers in one satisfying bowl.
This dish is incredibly easy to make. In fact, I was able to throw everything together into my crock pot over my lunch. This makes dinner time a breeze. It’s so nice to come home and have dinner waiting for you on those extra busy nights. Especially when you are busy busing your kid all over town to basketball practice or have a 2 hour Birth Preparation Class to attend in the evening (that was the case for us).
This recipe will definitely come in hand this winter after baby arrives. A goal of mine is to prepare a bunch of freezer meals before the baby comes so that we have healthy, easy meals to throw in the crock pot. This one definitely makes the list of those I plan on preparing!
Stuffed Pepper Stew
- 1 lb of ground beef (grass-fed if possible)
- ½ teaspoon of sea salt
- ½ teaspoon of fresh ground pepper
- 3 bell peppers of your choice (I used red, green and yellow), diced
- 1 small onion, dice
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 3 cups of beef stock (organic if possible)
- 1-14 oz. can of tomato sauce
- 2-14 oz. cans of diced tomatoes
- 1 can of tomato paste (Tip: look for a brand that does not add sugar)
- 2 tablespoons of Italian Seasoning (I used Gusto’s Pizza Seasoning from Allspice)
- 1 teaspoon of dried basil
- 1 teaspoon of dried oregano
- 1 cup of uncooked brown rice
- 1/4 cup of apple cider vinegar
- ½ cup of Italian Flat-leaf Parsley, finely chopped
- Optional Topping: Shredded Mozzarella or Cheddar Cheese for topping
- In a skillet, season ground beef with salt and pepper and cook over medium heat until browned.
- While ground beef is cooking, dice up bell peppers and onion. Mince garlic.
- In a crock pot, combine beef stock, tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, tomato paste, garlic, Italian Seasoning, Basil, and Oregano .
- Add ground beef, bell peppers, and onion until combined with sauce. Cook on low for 6-8 hours.
- Prepare rice according to the package instructions and add to pot prior to serving OR add uncooked rice to the stew 2 hours before serving.
- Stir in apple cider vinegar and 3 tablespoons parsley just before serving. Serve warm and garnish with shredded cheese and additional parsley if desired.